We have a Lewmar folding wheel – this is a special edition manufactured for Dufour of the Lewmar 40inch folding wheel. This is great invention for a smaller yacht like Molia – it means we can get around the helm easily when moored.
Removing the wheel is not that easy when it has been in place for several years. However, the procedure described in this YouTube video works well.
- Remove the centre cover and remove the nut and washer from the spindle.
- Remove the autopilot clamps from the wheel spokes.
- Put the nut back on the spindle (without the washer) so it is sticking out just past the threads.
- Exert some even pressure behind the wheel with your arms and leg.
- Hit the nut a few sharp taps with a hammer, and the wheel should pop out against the nut.
- Now remove the nut again and take the wheel off.
This worked on Molia!